Sunday, January 25, 2009

Did You Know?

The movie found at http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/06/did-you-know-20.html was very interesting. It really made you think. I know that other countries have much better language instruction than the US does, but I did not realize that the prediction for the number one English speaking country in the world would be China. Does this tell us something about our society? The fact that every college graduate in India speaks English, and could be inferred to also speak their own Indian dialect, says something about the education system that we can not claim here. The facts about the jobs for today's students did surprise me a little. I guess loyalty to a company is not taught like it used to be. One article that I read on this subject suggested that today's young workforce is looking for what the company can do for them and not what they can do for the company. According to the video, this is true.

I have never really thought about where I would be or where technology would take my children five, ten, or even twenty years from now. Just today in church the sermon was on change and the fact that some people do not like change. Change is necessary for the good of all. The fact that we are seeing new college majors and new additions to the English language should be seen as a good thing. It means we are moving forward. The technology of the future and the children we teach to use it will benefit everyone in all countries around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment